Search This Blog

Friday 2 October 2015

Where He Leads Me, I Will Follow - Patricia Russel - True Story


This is the warm engaging story of a British woman whose life changed in a personal touch meeting Christ as her Savior, and ultimately came to India as a missionary in the 1960s


Patricia Russel- England



In England and then Africa
I was born in England, a land of freezing cold winters, warm and pleasant summers with a lot of foggy weather, with fires usually merrily crackling in homes to warm up the cold frosty air.  When I was a 3-month old baby, in 1938, my parents took me to East Africa in Tanzania, to a tropical climate with lovely sunny days, where we lived in a small town in the midst of wide flat plains of 'Savanna.  I remembers going by car with my Mum and Dad along a road from where we could see mysterious Mount Kilimanjaro with its three volcanic cones, looming in the distance, half covered in clouds.

My Dad was working as an Administrative District Officer under the British Govt. The job entailed managing all the affairs of a huge district with many indigenous villages in it. The District Officer would have quarters for his family, and when I was a baby, their home was a fort built by the Germans who had colonized Tanzania earlier but lost the colony as result of the 1st World War, so from 1918, Britain had the mandate to rule it.

I was brought up in different parts of northern Tanzania, as government officers were moved on to new districts quite often, usually every 2 or 3 years. It was a very happy childhood.  I spent  a lot of time playing under gigantic trees in the grounds of whichever bungalow we were then living in.  I had an African nanny, a sweet-natured caring lady whom II loved very much.  There were no other European children most of the time.

My mother's mother came from England to join them in about 1940, due to World War II, not wanting to be separated from her only daughter, and was a wonderful grandma to me all the years she was growing up.  She brought a lot of joy and security in my life.

I was mostly in good health, but every rainy season [that was twice a year], despite sleeping under a mosquito net, I did suffer from malaria. 

At the age of 6, my mother taught me the Lord's prayer, which she used to recite with me every night, along with a short prayer from one of my story books.  It was the first time I had heard about God, and I started to become aware of Him.

Just after my 7th birthday, my baby brother was born, and in the next year, 1946, my family got a passage back to the UK, having been in Tanzania all through World War II.

When my parents and little brother returned to East Africa after this, I had to stay with my grandma in the south of England as the doctor said the malaria had made me anemic.  So I went to a small school there, where the teachers taught us good morals and good behavior, but God was in the background of it all. There was no mention of Jesus as the way to God, or that we needed to tell God we were sorry for our wrong thoughts and actions - no mention of the fact that we are born sinners! - and so there was nothing to believe or think about.

After 3 years, my family took me back to East Africa with them, and I then went to a bigger school, which had an assembly where they sang good hymns every morning, and where we were taken to church every Sunday [a nice boarding school, but I did not think any teacher or other adult knew Jesus].  At that school, at the age of about 13, I joined confirmation classes, being blessed by a Bishop at a service of confirmation.  Prior to the Sunday service, we had had lessons for some weeks, given by a very nice kind man who explained the service to us."

But I was so disappointed when we still did not know God even after the service and the blessing, as still there was no one to tell us about Jesus.
I was just 15 when my Dad took early retirement and we all came to live in the same place in the South of England where I live now.

The Book in the Library
The busy years rolled by.  I finished my schooling, college, teacher's training, etc., and after 2 years teaching in England, found myself with a job in New Zealand, which for me was just great as New Zealand is so pretty, such a lovely place [beautiful sunny weather, plenty of rain at night, green, green grass, tall forests, and red flowers on the trees round the North Island beaches], and at that time, the people so extra friendly,  because it was then [1962] still such a small population, and very relaxed.

One Sunday, in the church I was attending as I entered, I saw a book on the lending shelf at the back of the church, and the title was 'Religious or Christian?' [by O. Hallesby], and I was intrigued - I didn't know there was any difference!

But God I now know directed me to this book!

Every evening, when I got back from work, after doing all my school work, I eagerly used to read this book, which explained so clearly the difference, and I really wanted to change from being 'religious' to being 'Christian'!!  How could I get saved? What could I do?

I do not recall at all just what it was in the book, but there must have been something that I understood because at last, after about a month of reading and re-reading it avidly, one morning I woke up, and in my mind were the words 'Jesus is my Savior too…and somehow I knew that was it!  I knew that I knew that I knew that I belonged to Jesus.  Such certainty itself was supernatural.  I had never been so sure of anything like this in my life.  And my life started changing.  I started feeling different, doing things differently.  That very day I told another teacher on the staff that I knew was a believer that I was saved, and he at once took me to his house after school and introduced me to his wife, and from there they taught me how to read the Bible every day, how to talk to God, and gradually I learnt! 

Missionary Travel
A while after this, I was at a conference for geography teachers, and met a lady called Miss Penman who had just returned from teaching in a school called Mount Hermon School in Darjeeling, India, which is in the foothills of the great snowy mountains, the Himalayas.  This lady became a good friend to me, again part of God's plan.

About a year later, the kind teacher and his wife [as above] both advised me to apply for a 2-year course at New Zealand Bible College, where I got a place, and learned a marvelous amount about the Bible - it was a brilliant course, and the then Principal was the former Mount Hermon School Principal, Mr. Stewart. [This was the same Mr Stewart who had the Stewart Building put up in Mount Hermon School).  He with his wife gave such a wonderful Christian foundation to Mount Hermon School, like, the Bible taught in class, Chapel plays, Sunday chapel, and many other activities, as well as a very sound academic basis, and he started class plays too.

My two years at Bible College went by, and when I graduated, I was able to get a job through this same Miss Penman at a school where she was the Senior Mistress, in Auckland, the largest town in New Zealand.

During that year, while I was in Auckland, Mount Hermon School in India needed a new geography teacher, and the principal [Mr Murray] wrote to Miss Penman to ask her if she knew of anyone who would be interested - at a time when I was staying in her house!

Of course, I asked Mr Stewart if I should take it up and what did he advise? How could I be sure it was really God giving me the chance to go, and not just my enthusiasm? But he and other praying people all reassured me that it was right. So I applied for the job, and that is how I arrived in Darjeeling, one cold February day in 1968!

As I arrived in India, Darjeeling with Mt. Everest snow mountains shinning in the distance, rugged mountains, springs and towering pine trees all around was beautiful.  I had a pretty wooden cottage to stay in on the school campus which was sprawling and extended almost like a small township.  There, however, were a few practical discomforts, scarcity of water and electricity cuts were high running in those days, but I learned to adjust to those circumstances.  I was the English and geography teacher there for many years.  I lived in that dear wooden cottage down the hill, on the school estate.  Over time, as children [taught by Mrs Bhakre, in particular] got to know the Lord, they often had prayer meetings on Sunday evenings in my cottage, where they would study the Bible and sing.  It was a transforming time for all of us, teachers and students alike!

I had many happy years at Mount Hermon School with these lovely appreciative students, and if sometimes there were problems with my colleagues, always God was my help and my refuge, often helping me through other praying teachers on the staff, among whom I must mention particularly Miss Hawke, Mrs Joy Rongong [sister of Mr Stewart], and later after they both had left, Mrs Saroj Rongong. 

I can just say that when one believes in Jesus as their Savior, their life will never be the same.  He will transform us, take us to places we would have never gone and give us courage to do things we would have never tried.  And I can say my loving Father God has been with me through it all, and how grateful I am to Him. He has been faithful to me!

This words stands true for my life, "Genesis 28:15 "I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you."

Patricia Russel:  


About Ms. Russel:  When I was in school as a student, I remember going to Ms. Russel's cottage for the time of fellowship meetings, for which she had invited me to come.  I did not know Christ personally at that time, but I remember always being immersed in very wonderful peace during those times of singing, reading a short scripture passage and prayer that was held.  That peace helped me realize that spiritual life was real and not a myth, because I rarely had that kind of peace at other times during my school days!

Ms. Russel, a British missionary to India, who came to India during the 1960s, now lives in England.  Though she has retired as a teacher, she still has a very active ministry in prayer and in England too, where she with other friends pray much for countries and nations.

_________________________________________________

Email Us For Prayer!
You can send E-mail for prayer requests and also urgent prayer and will pass this on to the prayer group in Siliguri of Elder Richard Tamang's so do send in your prayer requests! We will all pray!


Email: ritafarhatkurian@gmail.com


Only God is the true  converter of a human soul.  No human can convert anyone.  It is God's Spirit to a human's spirit that converts.

No comments:

Post a Comment