Search This Blog

Monday 19 September 2016

The Legacy of Protection - Devotional: Silver Rain. September 19, 2016


Yesterday, early Sunday morning, our soldiers were killed in their sleep by the terrorists in the neighboring country.  A terrible cowardly thing to do, kill someone while sleeping.

The terrorists sneaked into the army camp, not sure how they managed to do that.

We moan for the loss of lives of our soldiers who protected our borders and kept us safe.  We pray for healing and comfort for their families.  Soldiers live on the sword of death daily.  Some live, others die.

Life is unpredictable.  We do not know when we may go.

God has given us a promise on earth, the promise of protection from sudden death....if we ask.

We have a promise from Psalm 91 …God keeps us in safety because:
14: “Because he loves Me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges My name.
15 He will call on Me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him My salvation.”

I remember the story of Phillip during religious agitation in Orissa.  On Christmas, December 25, 2007, a curfew was declared in Orissa due to the previous conflicts between Hindu Guru Late Laxanananda Saraswati. On the same day in the church, they were celebrating Christmas and the church was filled with both Christians and non-Christians.  Around 80 to 100 people had gathered there to celebrate the Christmas celebrations.

Phillip was preaching from the pulpit.  All of a sudden, 200 to 250 Hindu agitators entered the church violently through the doors and breaking windows.  All of them were inebriated, smelling heavily of liquor, carrying knives in their hands and rushing towards the people in the church mad with fury.  They started dragging people out of the church, thrashing them violently, swearing, cussing, and cursing.

As Phillip watched, he was stilled with fear and almost terror, but then suddenly as he called on God, a deep supernatural calm filled him.  He was suddenly filled with great courage.  He thought, "If I am to be killed tonight, I am ready to die for my Lord!"

Within a short time, they also dragged him by the collar abusing and hitting him.  The church was surrounded by huge crowd from outside and the tension mounted it seemed for hours.  He kept praying within his heart for the protection of his church believers.

Suddenly, something strange began to happen.  The activists started quarreling among themselves on some issue and went on to such an extent that they fought bitterly amongst themselves and then left the church!

It was the hand of God that saved them that day because they had come the intention to murder.

After they left, Phillip suddenly realized how close they were to dying.  Fear hit him with this realization and the calm left him!  It seemed the Lord gave me that calm for that situation and when it was over, he was normal again, naturally fearful in the terrifying time!

Later that night, a police officer asked him to leave the area as soon as possible or the situation would not be in his favor.

Phillip was unable to take that decision as he was not sure whether running away was a good thing to do, so he just went to his house, went into his bedroom, shut the door and started praying hard.  As he kept praying, he had a strong sense that he should leave the place, so within fifteen minutes, he packed a small bag and left the area.

The next morning he reached his hometown and immediately called the police by phone asking them about the situation in the church. He got to know that the activists came to his home, took away all his belongings and then burned down his place. They would have surely burned him if he had been there!   God shielded, protected his life, and directed him out to a safe place.

When we are close to God, we hold the legacy of protection, even in war and when terrorism strikes.

Psalm 91:9-16
If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
    and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
    no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
    you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
14 “Because he[b] loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him

    and show him my salvation

Silver Rain is a devotional based on true incidents.  I called it Silver Rain because I had a vision of beautiful silver rain falling down.  I saw a musical later with beautiful gentle rain falling down.  Later, I opened the Bible and found the verse Ezekiel 34:26 "I will make them and the places surrounding my hill a blessing. I will send down showers in season; there will be showers of blessing."  There is always blessing in showers of rain.  The Word of God refreshes and replenishes us spiritually.  May Silver Rain replenish and refresh you.  This is my prayer for you.
Rita.


Some of the names of the individuals have been changed to protect their privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment