Search This Blog

Sunday 22 November 2015

From The Storm To The Fire - Phillip Das - True Story

  
  
This is a story of overcoming evil with good, turning darkness to light and turning fires of hatred to kindle revival fires.


Phillip Das
Balasore, Orissa, India

One Sad Morning
It was an early cold January morning in 1999 in Balasore, Orissa, India, when I was awoken rudely from deep sleep due to a lot of talking of people in the house.  I was a young boy at that time and as I sat up on my bed rubbing my eyes sleepily, I could hear snatches of conversation of the cold-blooded killing of Graham Staines along with his two minor sons, Phillip, aged 9 and Timothy aged 7, who were burned alive while sleeping in their station wagon, having attended a jungle camp annual gathering the previous night.  I was aghast with horror at the sad news.  I too was a young boy like them, "How could anyone do that!" I thought horrified and afraid.

Graham Staines was an Austrialian missionary who played a great role in establishing the Mayurbhanj Leprosy Home, reaching out to the lepers, treating them and when they were healed, teaching them to make mats and hand weaving.  He spoke fluent Oriya and his kindness and love drew many to Christ, which was why he along with his two sons were killed by the Hindu activists that night.

Early that cold January morning, we set out to travel 40 miles to Manoharpur to meet with Gladys, his wife, and daughter Esther to pay our last respects and also attend the funeral.   We are all numb with pain and shock and on the way I remember the pastors discussing what they should do and they were especially worrying about how to comfort Gladys at this hour.  It was with great trepidation that we came to their newly renovated home.  I remember being struck with acute pain as I saw the toys and bicycles of Phillip and Timothy still on the verandah and it broke my heart, I being a young boy myself.

When we arrived at their home, I was struck with Gladys Staines, she looked calm, strong, peaceful and a tower of strength as she moved among the people asking them if they need a cup of water and seeing to their needs.  She only broke down when the song "When the Trumpet of the Lord Shall Sound!"  I saw victory in death in that Gladys Staines knew she would meet her husband and two sons again in Heaven and also power from within when she could say she has forgiven those who killed them!  I was deeply motivated from this time on to follow Jesus because I saw a strength and power and great qualities that come from those who belong to Christ.

I heard many whispers from different people saying "The ministry is over now that Graham Staines is no more."  Well for three years there was silence and it appeared that indeed it was over.  But then slowly, tiny miracles began to happen.  Some of the people involved in the killing heard the gospel from somewhere and started believing in Christ!  Others joined, soon, many, many people started believing in Christ and churches started growing and expanding over the area.  We could say that the seeds that Graham Staines had planted were now growing!

Ministry Calls
In the year 2000, the Lord called me to be a minister of the Gospel.  Though revival fires were spreading around Orissa, the climate is very spiritually sensitive, even to this day, 2015.  In 2005.  I got the privilege of ministering in Bhadrak District of Orissa. At this time I was 22 years old and I had a lot of fear in my heart as well as filled with joy at this opportunity.  I started working among Christians and sharing the gospel with people who did not know the Lord and who wanted to know more about Jesus and within one year, there was tremendous results as ten to twelve families new in the faith marvelously started attending my church.  In 2007 the month of January, two people Kamalini Padihari, 25 years and Trilochan Padihari, 30 years, took water baptism as a witness of their new life in the Lord.  Many new people started accepting Christ as their Savior.  This again drew the attention of the Hindu activists who kept feeling we were converting people to Christianity and the anger started brewing again and I was under their scanner at that time.

A Great Miracle and Protection
On Christmas, December 25, 2007, a curfew was declared in Orissa due to the previous conflicts between Hindu Guru Late Laxanananda Saraswati. On the same day in the church, we were celebrating Christmas and the church was filled with both Christians and non Christians.  Around 80 to 100 people had gathered there to celebrate the Christmas celebrations.  I was preaching from the pulpit when all of a sudden, 200 to 250 Hindu fanatics came to my church entering violently through the doors and windows.  All of them were inebriated, smelling heavily of liquor, carrying knives in their hands and rushing towards us mad with fury.  They started dragging each person out of the church, thrashing them violently and swearing, cussing, and cursing.

As I watched, I was stilled with fear and almost terror, but then suddenly as I called on God, a deep supernatural calm filled me.  I was suddenly in a different plane.  I was filled with great courage and strength and I was ready to stand strong no matter what happened to me, even if I was to be killed that night!  I was ready to die for my Lord. Within a short time, they also dragged me too by the collar abusing and hitting.  The church was surrounded by huge crowd from outside and the tension mounted it seemed for hours.  I kept praying within my heart for the protection of my church believers.

Suddenly something strange began to happen.  The activists started quarreling among themselves on some issue and went on to such an extent that they fought bitterly amongst themselves and then left the church!  It was the hand of God that saved us that day because they were bent on killing us.   After they left, I suddenly realized how close we were to dying and I was filled with fear and the calm left me!  It seemed the Lord gave me that calm for that situation and when it was over, I was normal again!  Later that night, a police officer asked me to leave the area as soon as possible or the situation would not be in my favor.  I was unable to take that decision as I was not sure whether running away was a good thing to do, so I just went to my house, went into my bedroom, shut the door and started praying hard.  As I kept praying, I had a strong sense that I should leave the place, so within fifteen minutes, I packed a small bag and left the area.  The next morning I reached home and I immediately called the police by phone asking them about the situation in the church. I got to know that the activists came to my home, and took away all my stuff and then burned my place. I realized I had a narrow escape from death as they would have surely burned me too had I been there!  I praised and thanked God for strengthening me in such a situation and allowing me to take a wise decision in the right time to go away.

The Fire From Below and the Fire From Above
The killings did not stop, even in 2008 another spurt of violence occurred where Christian were being killed all over. Many died in this violent spree.  This violence was sourced from the Hindu extremist party.  They set fire to many Christian settlements, and more than 40 people were killed or even more were killed.  In addition, several Christians were forced to flee their villages "after their houses were attacked by rampaging mobs.  The Hindutva burned 730 houses and 95 churches. Hundreds of displaced Christians took shelter in various relief camps set up by the state government.

Despite all this, today, there is a great revival in Orissa.  There is an old saying "The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church"well I could see that happening!  God's Spirit is the converter of the souls, not man!  In 1999, there were two churches are now there are now thirty two churches, with many, many people coming to the Lord.  In 2013, the churches grew and spread to such dimensions that Gladys Staines handed over the care of the thirty two churches to Indian Evangelical Mission as they would be able to take good care of the people and ensure the foundation of a good solid Word of God ministry be taught to the people along with prayerfulness.  Gladys Staines has returned back to India helping in the ministries as her heart was in Graham's India.  Her daughter Esther continues her medical studies in Australia.  Though there is still pain in their hearts because that loss is irrevocable, there is a victorious hope to meet their family again in Heaven.  Both the mother and daughter echo amazing forgiveness saying "The killers should not be killed.  We hope Dara and his accomplice will be transformed and follow the right path!"  As we know, Dara Sigh is presently in prison.

What started with an evil storm brewing which led to an earthly fire burning alive many humans sparked a spiritual fire from Heaven and today spiritual revival fires are burning strongly in Orissa where more and more people want to know Jesus.  It is a work of the Spirit and not of man and we cannot stop them because they seek Christ, they seek God, it is their own spiritual hunger drawing them nearer to God.  The Hindu activists keep saying Christians are converting.  They cannot understand the simple truth.  God sends His message of Love throughout the world through any human being who is willing.  He keeps people in their own countries to share this message or sends them overseas, but while humans are messengers, no human can convert a soul, it is Spirit to spirit, only the Spirit of God can convert a human soul so by killing other humans in thinking they are the converters, religious activists are in great danger of actually fighting with the Spirit of God, the converter of souls.  In John 16:8, Jesus promised to send the Holy Spirit: “When the Spirit comes, He will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment."

Phillip Das
m


Only God is the true  converter of a human soul.  No human can convert anyone.  It is God's Spirit to a human's spirit that converts.  Every person's experience is different and unique. With some dramatic; with some, a slow walk uphill in steps, no one is superior in their experience.  In the end, all that matters is whether we were walking with the Lord, obeying Him and living in Divine Love, producing the fruits of the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment