Search This Blog

Friday 1 April 2016

A Light Turned On - Talila Imti Ozukum



Every believer has a story to tell, in theological terms, testimony. I do not have a super exciting, thrilling or a wonderfully beautiful testimony. Well, I wasn't a drug abuser, wasn't an alcoholic, wasn't a slut, and wasn't brought back to life from death!  Mine is simple yet beautiful and extraordinary in its own way.

To start with, I was born in a good Christian family so it's no wonder I grew up hearing about Jesus and all the Bible stories in Sunday school.  Those were wonderful days where I loved the games, the stories and of course the toffees and candies our Sunday school teacher distributed every Sunday before calling it a day.

As a youth, I loved attending youth services on Sundays.  I loved the praise and worship, the activities and the specials services like coffee night, musical night and so on and so forth. It wouldn't be a lie if I say I am an active member for I take part in almost every church activity.

I had a certain prejudice that I fit into the "good Christian girl" category. I pray, I read the Bible, I go to church, I take part in church's activities, so of course, does it not makes me a good Christian lady?  I was altogether that good Christian girl!

I lived in this fallacy or so to say "self- righteousness" vanity until one day, a team of young people from America visited our college. Among them was a tall, pale and handsome young man who shared his testimony.  As he shared it, I was in awe. How can it be that this man from America has the same story to share? It was my story!

He narrated how he was born in a good Christian family, to a pastor's home to be precise. Like me, he grew up attending church's services, took active parts in all church events and of how he was also disillusioned of being a good Christian boy. One day out of the blue, his father deserted the family to be with another woman.  It was a real hard hit to the family and especially to him because all his life he has looked up at his father as a spiritual mentor, as an inspiration, had so much love and respect for him and now everything was upside down. He had no idea what else to do but to cry uncontrollably in the basement of the house questioning God why this happened to him for the good boy he was.  His faith was shaken to the foundations, wondering whether he should continue going to church and continue his faith in God. In that deep despair and anguish, he suddenly heard a voice calling his name.  He opened his eyes, stopped crying and looked around to see who it was, but only to find himself all alone in the confined walls of the basement. " Brian" (name changed) , he heard the same voice again, this time the voice asked him  'Are those precious tears for me or for your earthly father who left you? Who is your God, your earthly father or me?" Brian* was amazed at the voice personally addressing his pain, and was in wonder of what a powerful and personal God He was.  Brian then realized his folly in disbelieving God and with a new warmth encompassing his soul, he prayed for forgiveness. Suddenly, in his more than twenty years of Christian journey, he for the first time completely surrendered himself to Jesus there in the basement.  Something new and wonderful happened to Brian* that day, he got new life, new hope and new joy.

After Brian* shared his testimony, he then walked, walking toward the row where I was sitting and said, and at that moment, I felt as if he was asking me directly, "If you feel my story is your story, if you feel I am a messenger of God in disguise, I want to ask one simple question to you, are you going to church for yourself, for people or for God? Have you really given your life to Christ who died for you? Who are you truly worshiping? Who is your God?"

At that moment, a light turned on!  For the first time I questioned myself if my life was really centered around Jesus as I claim it to be or is self centered.  I had decided not to get emotional and not to cry at the beginning of the service, but there I was crying and praying to God in true repentance and realization!  I realized how wrong I was to think that I love God,that I was a good Christian when in truth I was a selfish girl living for myself and not for God. When the light turned on and I saw the Truth, I become a different girl, new, free and I started to change deep within.

I just want to conclude with a simple thought and a question we all need to ask ourselves.  If you have the habit of reading the Bible, praying, are a regular church goer, you feel you are a good human leading a good life- well done and good. Keep it up!  But there is a greater truth.  We know that these things are not enough, but the bare essentials to keep us going.  We need air, water and food to survive but, we were not merely born to breath, eat and drink and then die.  Life is more than this.  As Christians, we need to read the Bible, go to church, pray, be a good human leading a good life doing with no wrongs, all that is true, but Christianity is more than this.

Christianity is not a religion but is about a relationship with God.  It is about giving one's life to Christ, living for Him and not for ones self or for anybody else.   We can only do this when we realize we need a Savior, repent of our sins, and in this awakening, we get a new life, and will be born again, i.e., the Spirit of God indwells us, to help us in our walk in the world.  The scriptures say our goodness isn't enough to get us to Heaven, because even as a drop of dirt in a glass of pure water pollutes the water, so is it likewise with sin, all our goodness can be blocked by one bad act, and who on earth can be really good, really perfect..? no, not one!

We might be thinking that we are a good Christian and might be feeling proud that people take our examples to teach others, perhaps even Bible teachers or Sunday school teachers, but look deep within, self introspect; the truth could be ugly. You might be a modern Jesus' time Hypocrite.  Jesus said in Mathew 15: 8-9 "These people draw near to me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far away from me. And in vain they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men." Matthew 7: 22- 23 reads, " Many will say to me on that, Lord , Lord have I not prophesied in your name, cast out demons in your name, and done many wonders in your name? And then I will say declare to them ' I never knew you; depart from me, you who practice lawlessness!' 

In this new life, we have the Light of the World, Jesus with us, who transforms our lives and changes us from being hypocrites to become the light and salt of the earth.

Talila Imti Ozukum

_________________________________________________


Email Us For Prayer!
You can send E-mail for prayer requests and also urgent prayer and will pass this on to the prayer group in Siliguri of Elder Richard Tamang's so do send in your prayer requests! We will all pray!


Email: ritafarhatkurian@gmail.com


Only God is the true  converter of a human soul.  No human can convert anyone.  It is God's Spirit to a human's spirit that converts.


No comments:

Post a Comment